Investigators taking closer look at Aaron Hernandez’s final hours

Also on Wednesday, Chief Medical Examiner Henry N. Nields conducted an autopsy on Hernandez, and came to the conclusion that his cause of death was asphyxiation by hanging.

Investigators determined Hernandez was alone at the time of the hanging, and saw “no signs of a struggle”.

Questions remain after former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez was found dead in his prison cell by a corrections officer early Wednesday morning.

No suicide note was left, but sources told Fox25Boston that “John 3:16” was written on his forehead and the wall of his prison cell. According to ESPN, Baez said the family had received Hernandez’s body from the medical examiner’s office, however, it had not yet released the former athlete’s brain.

Baez said Hernandez’s family wants to donate his brain to Boston University’s CTE Center to advance study of chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

Jose Baez, Hernandez’s lead attorney in his recent double murder trial, is calling for an investigation into his client’s death.

When speaking about the authorities intentions to hold on to the National Football League superstar’s brain, Jose Baez said, “there are very specific protocols that are involved so that this could be done correctly and the results can be defined accurately”.

A judge on Friday ordered key evidence in the prison suicide of Aaron Hernandez preserved, granting a request from the ex-NFL star’s fiancee so the family can investigate the circumstances of his death. Hernandez was serving a life sentence without parole for murder.

After some disagreement over its custody, the brain will be released to the Boston University CTE Center for further examination, according to the Worcester County District Attorney’s Office.

Aaron Hernandez’s family plans on turning the former National Football League star’s brain over to a center to study it for possible brain trauma. He was taken to UMass Memorial Health Alliance Hospital in Leominster and pronounced dead. It was initially reported that Hernandez committed suicide by hanging himself with a bedsheet from a window in his cell.

“The family should be able to have the dignity of a proper service in the proper possession of Aaron’s remains”, Baez told reporters after exiting the medical examiner’s office.

Earlier Thursday, Hernandez’s lawyer complained that state officials had turned over the 27-year-old’s body but not his brain.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *