Police investigation gathers pace as Bank Holiday weekend gets underway

A barber shop linked to cousins of the suicide bomber was raided by anti-terror police on Friday, according to neighbours of the family.

Two men, aged 20 and 22, have been arrested on suspicion of offences contrary to the terrorism act.

Authorities have detained a total of 11 people since the attack, but a 16-year-male and an adult woman were released without charges.

A new suspect has been arrested in Manchester during a large-scale counter-terror operation launched in the wake of a suicide attack that struck a pop concert in the city earlier this week, United Kingdom police said on Friday.

Britain’s senior counter-terror officer Mark Rowley said “immense progress” had been made in the investigation, but further arrests were likely.

Police previously hailed the “significant” arrests made and the “very important” items seized in raids as they attempt to close the net on Abedi’s suspected terror network.

Merseyside Police insist that there is now “no specific threat” to the Merseyside area.

Whitehall sources revealed on Thursday that security services are managing around 500 active investigations relating to 3,000 people of interest.

“All those people are in the mix and they have to be looked at”, said Mr Wallace.

Those campaigns are expected to get underway again on Friday.

Items including a laptop were seen in evidence bags taken away by police.

“While we do not usually comment on information-sharing arrangements with worldwide law enforcement organisations, we want to emphasise that, having received fresh assurances, we are now working closely with our key partners around the world including all those in the Five Eyes intelligence alliance”, Mr Rowley said.

United Kingdom police have identified 22-year-old Salman Abedi as the individual they suspect of having perpetrated the attack.

She added Abedi began referring to others in the country as “infidels” who were “unjust to Arabs”.

The bomber’s father, Ramadan Abedi, and another sibling are now in the hands of authorities in Libya.

Music fans were targeted at an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena in the worst terrorist attack on British soil since the July 7 bombing in London in 2005.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *