Rory McIlroy also skipping the Memorial Tournament due to rib injury
“It’s disappointing to miss the Memorial Tournament”, McIlroy said Friday in a statement released by tournament officials.
The Northern Irishman then played three further events before feeling discomfort at the Players Championship and undergoing an MRI scan, after which he was advised to take a “conservative approach” with his recovery. No new injuries were revealed, only a “low-grade response” to the original hairline rib fracture he suffered earlier this year that kept him out of action for seven weeks.
McIlroy’s agent Sean O’Flaherty told Golf Digest that for McIlroy, “all focus is on getting back to full health for the U.S. Open”.
The first round of the U.S. Open at Erin Hills in Wisconsin is just 20 days away.
Previous year the four-time Major champion missed the cut in the US Open at Oakmont, and also at the US PGA Championship at Baltusrol. “This tournament attracts such a stellar field, and I was excited to try and better my fourth-place finish from previous year”.