Third London Terrorist Named, Was on Italian Watch List
Youssef Zaghba, who was named as the third attacker yesterday, had been flagged to British intelligence services after telling Italian police “I’m going to be a terrorist” when he was reportedly stopped trying to travel to Syria. Check back for updates.
The Prime Minister told Sky News: “MI5 and the police have already said they would be reviewing how they dealt with Manchester and I would expect them to do exactly the same in relation to London Bridge“.
His aunt by marriage Franca Lambertini said he was a “good lad, who didn’t talk much”.
Following the attack, London Mayor Sadiq Khan said the threat level in the country is still “severe”.
– Like Butt, Redouane lived in the east London area of Barking, police said.
Spain’s foreign minister, Alfonso Dastis, says his British counterpart, Boris Johnson, has promised to accelerate efforts to identify victims in Saturday’s attack that killed seven people and injured dozens more.
Butt, 27, a Pakistani-born British citizen, worked for the Tube service as a trainee customer services assistant for just under six months, leaving in October previous year.
“All three were arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of terrorism offenses under section 41 of the Terrorism Act 2000”, the statement said.
Armed police responded and within eight minutes had shot dead all three attackers.
The mother, 68, was convinced her son was working in London, and did not know about any other initiatives on his part, sources said.
Metropolitan Police assistant commissioner Mark Rowley said an investigation into Butt began in 2015, but “there was no intelligence to suggest that this attack was being planned and the investigation had been prioritised accordingly”.
The Islamic gym where Butt worked out said Tuesday they had seen nothing of concern during his time there.
People across Britain have paused for a moment of silence to remember those killed and injured in the London Bridge attack.
The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the brazen attack that started on London Bridge, then continued in the streets surrounding Borough Market.
The attack, the third in Britain in three months involving suspects who had been on the radar of British authorities, has raised questions over the government’s ability to protect Britain following cuts to police numbers in recent years.
In the CCTV, the trio can be seen rushing at a passing pedestrian near Borough Market, raining down a series of blows while police cars approach.
Dick said the attack was “ghastly”, but that Londoners are pulling together and refusing to be cowed by extremists.